Vauxhall Victor, Chaul End Test Track 1959.

Vauxhall Victor, Chaul End Test Track 1959..jpg

interesting left hand drive.

‘Bedford trucks Dunstable

Image may contain: car and outdoor

””’Bedford trucks Dunstable Date not known””
Nearly 6,000 people were once employed at the vast Vauxhall plant in Boscombe Road, Dunstable, making Bedford Trucks..
The factory had been built during the war as an addition to the Vauxhall works at Luton, and it was hugely expanded in the 1950s. Dunstable became a boom town and thousands of houses were erected to accommodate the families who flocked here with the promise of plenty of well-paid jobs. But foreign competition was formidable and, as crisis followed crisis, General Motors closed its Dunstable operation in 1987. The factory reopened under the name AWD but it closed again in 1992 after a huge order to supply the Libyan Army was blocked by UN sanctions. The site is now occupied by the Sainsbury’s superstore, the White Lion Retail Park and the Superdrug distribution centre, among other businesses

FACTORIES

Image may contain: outdoor

Chevrolet trucks rolling off the line in the former Airco factory in Colindale, 1920s
General Motors – Colindale

In World War One the Aircraft Manufacturing Company, more commonly known as ‘Airco’ had a large set of factory buildings on Edgware Road, Colindale. The buildings were enormous, pillar-less spaces, the roof held up by an ‘umbrella’ type construction. Here a huge number of fighter aircraft with the initials ‘DH’, such as the DH4, were produced. The initials referred to the company’s chief designer, Geoffrey De Havilland, who later went on to form his own aircraft company.

When the war ended, Airco, like all aircraft makers were left without customers, and the factory was closed down. In stepped the General Motors company of America, who recognised the value of the large production space. Here they made Chevrolet trucks from pre-manufactured parts shipped over from the United States.

In 1925 General Motors bought Vauxhall Motors of Luton, and therefore no longer needed the buildings in Colindale for motor vehicle production. The factory was turned over to another division of General Motors called ‘Frigidaire’, that, as the name suggests, made refrigerators.
Source/Credit: (The)Londonist